Well, this is my first post. Last week, I started my own software consulting company named Grove Hill Software, LLC. It’s been quite a bit of work to set things up, but I think it will be well worth it.
Here are some of the things I’ve done so far:
- testing the waters to discover what work was out there and what it would pay
- researching the cost of and how to obtain benefits, such as health, disability, and worker’s compensation insurance
- the same for general and professional liability insurance
- researching the options for the legal form of the business: sole proprietorship, S-corporation, LLC, and C-corporation
- finding a lawyer and an accountant
- deciding on a company name and actually forming the company
- setting up a domain with email and webhosting
- putting together a skeleton homepage
- opening a company bank account
Here are some things I still need to do:
- Investigate options for and set up a retirement account (SIMPLE, 401(k), SEP, etc.)
- coming up with a logo (I have the advantage that my wife is a designer)
- putting together a real homepage and overall website (the content will be the hard part)
I’ll come back and fill in more details as I go.